Popular Posts

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Thinking Outside the Square

Do you find there's limited space within your kitchen area??? Our kitchen is a "normal" size I guess. It's not a small galley kitchen but it is missing a good size pantry area and a broom cupboard. We have a 600 oven (that's all that will fit) and an average size fridge. So its not at all "massive". When I found this locker at a thrift store the other day I was thrilled. I swing between industrial, French industrial, a tad of glam (granny style) a mix of disposable on trend items, a touch of retro and use basic chunky shapes. So we will throw this into industrial..........yep it should fit in. I painted it black because I didn't want it to be a feature.....just an extension of the kitchen wall, and its function will be a "broom cupboard". I like to paint furniture the same colour as a wall . It becomes part of the wall adding a shadow effect rather than being a highlight item. So what a great shape for a broom cupboard.........$35.00 complete!!! If you need to do stuff "on the cheap" you have more scope to be inventive so think outside the square and find something within the budget. There are definitely pieces out there once you start the hunt..........





This was its original state.........

People often say, "but I have no vision". If that truly is the case but  you are drawn to a shape, its the right size and the piece has a function, then paint it your wall colour and accessorize with colour or texture and you should be right. BUT if you see potential and you do have vision then go all out.........its only paint. I had a client the other day after I told her I would help her find 2 sidetables of the right dimensions then she could paint them "hot pink" (they are going on very dark walls), she said to me that she couldn't paint. That she was too fussy with the finish. When your on a budget then you need to do some tradesman's work I'm afraid to get the job done and be happy with the best you can do...........
What do you think about a shot of hot pink??

No comments: